Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Look out Vancouver, here I come!


So the point of this blog is to keep everyone updated on my travels and new adventure in Vancouver, WA. I figured creating a blog would be the easiest way to keep my friends and family updated.

On Sept. 1st, 2010 at 9am(pst) I will begin my new adventure of working with Americorps!! My service term will end on July 15th, 2011, unless I chose to continue on for another service term. I will be working with Washington Reading Corps at Washington School for the Deaf (WSD). What that means is, I will be one of two team members working at WSD on reading and writing literacy. Once I get to WSD I will be trained in a program, developed by Gallaudet, to promote Reading and Writing literacy in the Deaf/HH community. Then throughout my work day, I'll be tutoring struggling readers and writers. I believe I will be working mostly with prek-6th grade. Though that could change.

After the school day is over, i'll be volunteering in WSD's residency program. (For those of you not familiar with a State Deaf School, most of the kids are bussed from all over the state. They live on campus from Sun night-fri morning. They are bussed back home on the week ends.)

During the 10months of service, we don't make any money. We are given a living allowance (to cover rent and bills) of about 750-850$ a month. It will vary depending on the taxes taken out. And we are also put on food stamps to cover the cost of groceries. At the end of the service term we are awarded 5,000$(give or take a few) to pay off school loans, or put towards future college education. In order to recieve the award, we have to successfully complete our 17oohrs of service. Which won't be completed by only working at the school, we'll also be going out and working in the community, volunteering wherever we find a need.

I will be living at WSD, I was lucky enough to be offered a position with the Residency program. I will be volunteering extra hours (which will count towards my 1700hrs) in exchange for my room and board.

Vancouver, WA is about 35 1/2 hours, driving, from where my family lives in Nashville, TN. though its going to be hard, I'm very excited and can't wait for the adventure that awaits me in Vancouver!!!!

p.s. If you have no clue what "Dream Weaver" is take a look/listen to the below link.


Click to hear music file

For all my Deaf/HH friends-
Dream Weaver Lyrics:

"Dream weaver"
I've just closed my eyes again
Climbed aboard the dream weaver train
Driver take away my worries of today
And leave tomorrow behind
Ooh dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light

Fly me high through the starry skies
Maybe to an astral plane
Cross the highways of fantasy
Help me to forget today's pain

Ooh dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light

Though the dawn may be coming soon
There still may be some time
Fly me away to the bright side of the moon
And meet me on the other side

Ooh dream weaver
I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light
Dream weaver
Dream weaver
Dream weaver

2 comments:

  1. I am going to bookmark your site girl. I hope this next year is the most amazing ever for you! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you knew anything about this song. It was one of my favorites my Senior Year in high school, yes many years ago ; )

    ReplyDelete