Sunday, April 24, 2011

Where to begin?

I thought up until recently work here had been tough, but honestly it wasn't until March that I realized things could get a little tougher. On March 1st my teammate and I were up relatively late trying to get the finishing touches for Dr. Seuss' birday completed. We met early with a few friends the next morning.. I had maybe a total of 3hours of sleep. I was exhausted. That afternoon a friend, and former co-worker, called me when I saw that I had missed her call I sent her a text and she replied asking me to call her when I had a minute to talk. After I finished my last tutoring class for the day I went back to my office and gave her a call.. Looking back I don't think there was anyway anyone could prepare themselves for what she told me... We talked for a little while and then she said that one of my former co-workers and friends had been missing for close to 48hrs. I really wasn't sure what to say I was absolute speechless.. I emailed my boss saying that I was going home, at that point I was so exhausted that mentally I just needed the rest of the evening off.. I talked to her for a while and I knew in my gut what had just taken place. I think at that point I really was just in shock and didn't really know what was going on. That night I cried, laughed at the good times we had together, cried that the last time we saw each other wasn't on the best note. Remembered how it was best for me to walk away from our friendship but still remembering how much I loved her as a person regardless of her issues. I hurt for all of our friends, our former students, her family and her precious daughter. I don't think anyone can prepare themselves to know that someone they were friends with has literally vanished without a trace. It's scary knowing how fast it all can happen. I'm so very thankful for all my wonderful friends here in WA. They were wonderful and have been wonderful through it all. I literally was a walking zombie for several weeks. I couldn't shut my mind off, I was constantly wondering where she was how she disappeared who could possibily be behind it. Talking to friends from home, and their updates, and keeping myself constantly moving here kept my mind busy for the most part. Life is precious.. sometimes the unbelievable things happen.. in an instant everything can be gone, life can be lost, and people's futures can be changed.. What type of influence we choose to be on others is up to us.. I choose to try my best in being the change I want to see in the world.. and it's working with those kiddos, seeing their smiling faces or hearing their laughter, that kept my mind as present in the moment as I could be... I'll forever be praying for my friend who is missing (it's been almost three months now), praying for our friends, students and for her precious daughter that is dearly missing her mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment