Thursday, October 7, 2010

WSD/the events that have been happening and how they could affect me

WSD is facing some major budget cuts, hopefully the govenors office will accept this plan and no more layoffs or closure of programs will be needed. Some of the buildings are having to be closed down completely, and everything moved out, to help reduce the cost of running a school of this size. Our boss granted us approval to extend a helping hand and offer our teams assistnance in any way we would be needed. All though this is a very political ordeal, and some of my opinions I have to keep to myself. Part of me hates watching what could possibily come. The plan that was not submitted to the Govenor for approval could mean the closing of the Elementary School. But here's to hoping that won't have to happen.
As far as I know if that were to happen, WSD would lose the grant(from what I'm told) that was written for us to be here. If that does happen I'll have two options, I can leave and go back home taking a partial Ed award or I can choose to stay on and be placed at another school within WRC's service area. My personal opinion is that if this does infact happen I would like to be able to at least stay on half a day at WSD and still service the kids that would still be here. Then spend the other half of our service day at another school. So that we are still reaching the amount of time we're required to serve and are also able to tutor some of the kids we signed up to serve.
Honestly I have so many different emotions about this whole situation. It's frustrating sitting by and not being able to do anything about what is taking place. I'm used to being able to advocate for my job and for the interpreting field. but this time I just have to semi sit back and watch as WSD might lose their elementary school, and the grant. It's frustrating also that I moved across the country to do something that I truly believed their is a need for, and now that opportunity might be taken away. The reason I felt so strongly about coming out here to serve was that there is a huge need in the Deaf community for English, reading and writing, improvement. As well as throughout the country in regular public schools. In my work I've seen both hearing and deaf kids alike struggle greatly with english, and the system fails them, they don't recieve the additional support they need. With WRC we give them that additional support they need to actually succeed. I love what I do, and working with the Deaf Community. I would never change it for the world. But its heart breaking to sit by and watch as these kids might have to be sent back home. For these kids its home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment